Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Green Bean Tater Tot Casserole

Ingredients:

1/2 lb ground beef

3/4 cup chopped onion (I used a small one)

1/2 cup chopped celery (about 1 to 1 1/2 staulks)

1 clove of garlic grated (you could subsitute 1/4 tsp of garlic powder)

1 can of cream of mushroom soup

1 can of cream of chicken soup

1 1/2 cups of frozen green beans, thawed

4 cups of tater tots.

Instructions:

1. Brown ground beef, onion, celery and garlic.  I did mine until the beef was barely browned and the celery and onion had just started to get soft.  Since you bake this for an hour, you don't want it too done or it will fall apart in the casserole. 

2. Mix ground beef mixture, soups and green beans in 2 quart casserole dish. (I used a 9 x 13 pan)  Top with tater-tots.  I actually didn't measure the tater-tot, I just poured them on until it was covered and then pushed them in a little bit.

3. Bake at 375 for 40 to 50 minutes or until the tater-tots are done and everything is warm. 

Review:

As far as green bean tater-tot casseroles, this one was really good.

Pros: Vegetables, meat and your grain all in one dish.  Very Easy to whip up and I had everything but the tater-tots on hand.  It also only dirtied a fry pan and casserole dish, which was great for clean up.

Cons:  It was a little bland and could use something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I might subsitute the tater-tots with southern hashbrowns for some flavor. (I don't like tater tots though.)  

Overall cost to make was about:  $6.50 

2 comments:

Nicole said...

yum. this sounds good. I am soo trying it

Beth Tunnell said...

We add lots of cheese to the top about 10 minutes towards the end of cooking. Adds some dairy (and extra calories) and is super good!