Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Meatloaf Dinner

Ingredients:
2lbs ground beef
2 eggs
1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup warm water
3 TBSP brown sugar
1-2 TBSP worschestershire sauce
1 package of onion soup mix
1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
4 potatoes
6 carrots
1 medium onion
salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Beat eggs in bowl. Mix in ketchup, warm water, brown sugar, worchestershire sauce, onion soup mix and bread crumbs. Let sit until liquid is absorbed.
2. Add ground beef and mix until well blended. If you are like me, I hate using my hands. Use a potatoe smasher.
3. Form into a loaf and place into a 9 x 13 pan lined with foil. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
4. Scrub potatoes and quarter. (like for smashed potatoes, but with skins) Cut carrots in half and slice onion. Arrange potatoes, carrots, onions around meat loaf, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Seal with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Review:

Pros: Easy. Great one dish meal. I made the meatloaf, then cleaned up and chopped up the potatoes, carrots and onion and then pulled it out. It might not have been a full 30 minutes, but the top was done. It reminds me of a tin foil dinner.

Cons: I thought there was alot of ground beef for one loaf, so I actually ended up freezing half of the ground beef mixture. Which is fine, because it's pre-made for next time.

Approximate cost: $6-8 (depending on price of meat) I'm working on making an cost sheet for ingredients to make determining the cost better.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I love this blog. Just so you know

Nicole said...

I need more cooking ideas, missy! where are your posts?!