Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tortellini Soup

Ingredients:
1lb Italian Sausage
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of water
3 cans of chicken broth (approximately 6 cups)
1/2 cup apple cider
1 can chopped stewed tomatoes (I usually get the italian style ones)
1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 cup of sliced carrots
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1 tsp oregano
2 medium zucchinis grated or sliced (I usually grate it)
1 8-10 oz package of chees tortellini (I get the frozen ones)
2 TBSP parsley

Instructions:
1. Brown sausage, garlic and onion in a large soup pot.
2. Add remaning ingredients except zucchinis, tortellini and parsley. Simmer 30 minutes.
3. Stir in the last 3 ingredients. Simmer another 30 minutes.

Add more broth if it gets to thick. Serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Review:
Pros: This is something my aunt makes, and we absolutely love it. Michael hates soup, but this is something he loves. It's really quite easy to make and pretty hard to mess up. (Believe me, I tried) Plus, it's a great way to add a few veggies and it is pretty healthy. It makes a big batch, so I often freeze half of it and save it for later.

Cons: It does take an hour to make. And I don't always have everything on hand, so I usually have to plan ahead.

No comments: